Lori R. Holyfield Attorney at Law

An Advocate Through Life's Transitions

My ex got a raise. Am I entitled to a child support modification?

Believe it or not, if you were divorced in a Tennessee court in the last 5-10 years, your parenting plan probably states that each parent has to provide the other parent with his or her W-2s and 1099s by February 15 of each year, and with his or her Form 1040 by April 15.  Parents are also required to exchange proof of work-related childcare costs each year.  Refusal to do so upon request could be contempt of court, and if he or she refuses to produce the documentation, there are other means available to obtain it.

Determining whether one party is entitled to a child support modification (increase or decrease) is a multi-step process:

  1. Determine each party's income, health insurance costs for covering the child, and days per year of parenting time.  Also, determine whether any children covered under the previous order are no longer "minor children" because they have attained the age of 18, graduated high school, and have no disabilities.  Sometimes determining all of these factors is easy; other times, it can be quite complicated.
  2. Prepare an Income Shares Worksheet utilizing all of the new information.
  3. In line 13a of the Income Shares Worksheet, enter the existing child support amount.
  4. If the amount that populates in line 13c of the Worksheet is greater than the amount that populates in line 13b, then a modification may be warranted, and you should consider filing a petition to modify.

Although you could potentially run these calculations yourself, it is probably best to have an attorney run them for you and advise you of all the possible ramifications of filing a petition to modify.  I offer free, relatively brief telephone consultations regarding child support modification matters, and I serve Shelby, Fayette, and Tipton Counties in southwest Tennessee.  My contact information is listed at the top of this page, and I would love to hear from you if you're interested in increasing the amount of child support you receive or decreasing the amount of child support you pay.

Lori R. Holyfield focuses her practice in divorce and family law and serves Shelby, Tipton, and Fayette Counties in southwest Tennessee.

Find Lori R. Holyfield on Facebook, LinkedIn, or Avvo

Legal information posted or made available by Ms. Holyfield on or through this website is not intended as legal advice or to create an attorney-client relationship between any individual or entity and any attorney, including Ms. Holyfield. Such Legal Information is intended for general informational purposes only and should be used only as a starting point for addressing your legal issues. It is not a substitute for an in-person or telephone consultation with an attorney licensed to practice in your jurisdiction about your specific legal issue, and you should not rely upon such Legal Information.

Certifications of Specialization are available to Tennessee lawyers in all areas of practice relating to or included in the areas of Civil Trial, Criminal Trial, Business Bankruptcy, Consumer Bankruptcy, Creditor's Rights, Medical Malpractice, Legal Malpractice, Accounting Malpractice, Elder Law, Estate Planning and Family Law. Listing of related or included practice areas herein does not constitute or imply a representation of certification of specialization. (This disclosure is required by the Tennessee Rules of Professional Conduct for attorneys.)